Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer Preserves

Here is what we have been up to......


Apple Jelly hopefully setting and sealing! I made Apple Jelly last year, from Jonathan Apples, and it was a really big hit at my house. This is batch number one for this year, but I am not sure what kind of apples I used, and I decided to add Cinnamon. I guess you can't complain when you get access to a really old Apple Orchard for free. When the rest of the apples come on, I think Dave and I will take another trip for some more apples. We really like to get the Jonathan's they are just awesome for cooking and eating and really hard to find in the stores these days. It is just amazing how many apples it makes to make 4 small jars of jelly. Oh and another fun part Dave and I took a 60 mile roundtrip ATV ride from our house to the orchard, but be careful cause the apples get a little bruised on the ride home!

This is apricot syrup from our very own apricot tree. I am not a really big fan of apricots, and I have tried the jelly and jam thing in other years. We heard about some homemade syrups being really good, and thought lets find a recipe and try it. So I found a recipe online, and I think it really turned out well. I think I might have found a way I actually like apricots!

4 comments:

Carter Family said...

Looks good! I love this time a year, when you are able to put up so much food for later. We have already done dried apricots, apricot fruit leather, green beans, salsa, and spagetti sauce.

Andrea said...

Mmmm ... mmmm! Looks yummy!

Jill said...

Look at you go! I'm impressed!

Unknown said...

That looks really good. You might have to show me how to do that. I know how to bottle jam but I don't know how to do syrup. You are a busy woman!!